Tuesday, December 6, 2011

[On karaoke and changes.]


On Saturday night a group of us went to karaoke to celebrate my roommate's birthday. Originally she was planning to just have a small cake and ice cream party at our house, but Domineau and I were lovingly appalled at her minimalist approach to her birthday and decided to overhaul the weekend. (Don't mess with us. We get our way. Especially when we're unified, and especially when it comes to birthdays.) So we all karaoke-d our hearts out.

Not to, like, get too deep about a silly night out, but this was kind of a big deal for me, people. (I'm about to chatter about my life. You may stop reading, scroll down, and enjoy the pictures. I won't hold it against you.) Recently I've experienced a lot of changes, some of my choosing, some not. Something I have chosen to do is to start creating a little life out here for myself--by making more friends, trying new things, embracing experiences beyond my teeny tiny comfort zone--something I've never (felt I) had the time or ability or interest to do until lately. I'm often a dazzling combination of stubborn, insecure, and vain, so traditionally I'm loathe to do things I don't want to do, or things I don't do well, or things that will embarrass me, but I now see that that isn't a way to live, at least not for me. I can't really live in my own little bubble, in isolation from people and things that are unfamiliar to me. Times like my past month have a painful, beautiful way of making one acutely aware of one's faults, weaknesses, and ugliness...all of which I have so much...and I've identified past patterns and mistakes that I plan never to repeat, and which I sincerely hope to correct, if given the opportunity. Anyway, bringing this discussion back down from la la land, I'd been karaoking before, but only years ago, in college, and certainly never in a particularly clear state of mind, so choosing to participate (and suggesting it in the first place!), was a little personal victory, because it's maybe the last thing I would have done even just a few months ago. And you know what? I had the. best. time. So much so that I sang not one, but two songs (with buddies, of course...baby steps, people), first delivering a groundbreaking rendition of "Friends in Low Places" with the lovely Shannon, then a googly-eyed performance of "Wonderwall" with new friend Wayne. Yep, I only mess with classics. And when I wasn't up front, I sang and cheered and laughed myself hoarse, and I'm pretty sure I would have blessed the crowd with my vocals about five more times if the birthday girl hadn't been too sleepy to stay longer.


Pay attention to the cute boys and girls, not my gross, post-temple baptism hair.


And then......the diva hand came out. And out she stayed. Probably the most significant discovery of the night.


Also, unrelated to my diva hand, but very important--can we discuss how good looking that Scott is? Photogenic, that one is.... And shout out to Lindsey, who I didn't capture well enough to include here, but who rocked the night away too!

9 comments:

  1. I heartily appreciate the shout-out. And I love anything to do with deep and introspective reflections on life (See: my overly personal blog). On behalf of everyone in the area, thanks for trying new things. The diva hand and Wonderwall were inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cha Cha. I love when someone else in the world, particularly someone I know, is living a parallel life with me. You are a rock star. Next time you come up to NYC, I would love to get together and chat and eat and possibly sing a ballad or two. Rock on, sistah-friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the Diva Hand. I hope things look up soon, but I like hanging out with you, so I'm glad there were changes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job. also, you're a really good writer. you probably already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you go to karaoke again, can I get an invite? I promise I'll make up for meager ability with wild enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a good picture of scott! I won't show matt, his crush might come back.

    yay for adventures and self-discovery...:)

    ReplyDelete