Sunday, February 6, 2011

Happy Birthday Lauren!

When I visited Columbia University as a senior in high school, I met with several students who toured me around the campus, took me to their classes, and introduced me to their friends. One of those friendly faces was Lauren, who took me to her Art Humanities class--to this day, she credits herself with my decision to major in Art History (I'll let her think that ;). She was two years ahead of me, so after I began as a freshman I only ran into her every now and then. It wasn't until my sophomore year and her senior year that we started spending time together, bonding over greasy study food, ice cream, and boyfriends named Andy. I've always been a hard person to make laugh, so when she became one of the few people I knew who could consistently crack me up, I knew I had found a good friend. Since then, we've shared our ups and downs with boys, all night study sessions, Disney movie singalongs, weekend trips, one particularly fateful night (on which one of us may have dropped the other's phone into a toilet that wasn't quite empty...), and my bed (head to toe in a college twin bed--it's a miracle neither of us have kicked out the other's teeth by now).

Four years later and states apart, she still makes me laugh until I cry, and I consider my friendship with her to be one of the best things I gained from my four years at school. Dearest Lala, Beautiful Princess, Homeskillet...you are beautiful inside and out. I'm blessed to be your friend, and the world is blessed by your presence.

Happy birthday my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment