Tuesday, October 18, 2011

[Two Tunes Tuesday: Martin Luther King.]

This weekend Chad and I got stuck in DC traffic. I hardly noticed, as bumper-to-bumper traffic makes this LA girl feel warm and fuzzy, but Chad wasn't thrilled. Anyway, it turns out the traffic was due to the dedication of the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial. We weren't able to attend the dedication, but we did visit the new memorial last month. Ever since I discovered this beautiful song a couple of years ago, Patty Griffin's "Up to the Mountain (MLK Tribute)" always comes to mind when I think of Martin Luther King, so I've listened to it a few times since the memorial was erected. Patty says in the video (below) that it was inspired by his last speech. I saw her perform this song live, and I think it's a very moving, soulful tribute. As a companion song, I've included Common's "A Dream," which includes clips from MLK's famous I Have a Dream speech. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment